Tripolis, the capital
Tripolis is located in the heart of Peloponnese at an altitude of 650 meters and 165 km far from Athens, in wooded surroundings and in a richly cultivated environment. The town, which constituted an important administrative and military center during the Turkish domination, played a leading role in the Greek war of independence of 1821.
Built on the homonymous highland, below the imposing mountain of Mainalo, Tripoli of today is a modern town, which is continually developing. Its nice parks and countries with the smartened county - churches and the rich vegetation, combined with the cool climate during the summer, attract many tourists and guests.
In the center of the town, in Petrino square, there is the beautiful neoclassical building of 1910 which houses the Malliaropoulio Town Theatre. Opposite it there is another beautiful neoclassical building, where the Private Primary and High School used to operate. Typical neoclassical building, one from the few that have remained in town, is the Town mansion. Next to it there is a little sympathetic church devoted to the neomatryns Dimitrio and Paulo, patrons of the town. Worth visiting is also the house of the poet Costa Karyotakis (Anexartisias street, near the radio station of ERT), which has been recently restored - as well as the old and traditional Coffeehouse "Mega", at the Saint Basil's square and the imposing Justice Mansion. In front of this there is the square of Areos, a real ornament of the town, with the monument of the notables, and the statue of Theodore Kolokotronis (his bones are placed there) officer of the war of independence of 1821. The square is surrounded by green beautiful and well-cared parks with kiosks and plays grounds which ofer freshness and relaxes. A specially cared and artistic unit of the park is the grove friends of trees club. Very close, the interesting neoclassical building of the Cultural Center of the city is located.
Imposing is, however, the Byzantine church of Saint Basil, metropolis and symbol of the town in the central square. Behind the town there is the dominating mountain of Mainalo, on the slope of which you can clearly discern the monastery of the Virgin at Epano Chrepa. Findings of the excavation of the ancient locations of Arcadia can be found in the neoclassical building of the archeological museum of Tripoli. In the exit of the town, on the road which leads to Alonistaina and Saint Theodore, the Panarcadic Hospital is situated which was built at the expenses of the Panarcadian Federation of America.
It is worth to visit the town in many different times of the year like the carnival, or during Easter Sunday when the Municipality of the town organises a whole fist with the traditional lamb offered to everybody with local wine, escorted from traditional dances until late in the evening.
Tripoli is characterized by its many and beautiful squares. Despite the defective town planning of the center, its squares are many: Areos, Saint Basil, Petrino, Anexartisias, Kolokotroni, and many others of smaller size. The central commercial street is Constantine XII. Its south extension is the beautiful and wooded Kalavriton Street, whereas in the north there is the Washington Street that leads to Sparti. Not far from the town, on Kalavriton street, the up dated National Sports Cater of Tripoli is situated, including an enclosed gym and swimming pool as well as courts for several other sports. On the road to Matzagria there is the 124 section of basic education of Warrior Airforce in the alleys of which the Panellenic Cycling races are organized every year. On the road to Sparti on the outskirts of Tripoli, there is the Psychiatric Hospital of Tripoli. In the entrance of the town from the new National road, the new industrial area (photo) has been developed over the last few years. Many industrial and handicraft units have been established or removed there.
Tripoli is famous for the many and beautiful countrysides. The visitor can take a walk to the Saint George, a beautiful country location with rich vegetation, the small zoo, the homonymous church with the sympathetic open theatre, and have a rest at the touristic pavilion. Very close to Tripoli, there are the firry hills with the picturesque country churches of Saint Thanasis, Saint Ilias, Saint Dimitrakou, Kortsova (with a rare kind if fir) Analipsis, and Saint Theodora, with the historic stone of Kolokotroni where he used to sit and observe the besieged Tripolitsa. On the outskirts of Tripoli the visitor can find many picturesque villages (Nestani, Steno, Rizes, Vouno, Alea etc), which are offered for small excursions in a calm and beautiful atmosphere. Interesting are, however, the monasteries of Saint Nikolas from Varses (12km) and of the Gorgoepikoos Virgin (17 km).
The mount Mainalon next to Tripolis is the home of Panas the ancient god and the hero of the war of independence of 1821 General Theodore Kolokotronis. On the highest part of the mountain on 1981 m altitude 25 km from Tripolis is the ski - center of Ostrakina.
The establishment of a university, with Tripolis as the head has remained for years a persistent demand of the residents, the principles of the town and the world spread Arcadians.This Panarcadic dream has been satisfied in 2000 with the creation of the University of Peloponese. The new University opens the dors in 2002, with two departments in the field of Computer Technology.
|History of the city||Meseums & Libraries||Past Tripolis, Old Photos
|Events and Festivals in Tripolis|
|The building of Tripolitsa||Tripolis and its entourage||Cultural associations||Memory to Th. Kolokotronis|
|Map of Tripolis||City Plan||The new urban planning||Events by the Municipality|
Copyright 2001© - The ARCADIA website